Have been using a customer survey just as you outlined.  This system has
been working for four-five years.

There is also the ‘Management Report’ that processes the returns into an
easy to understand results.  There is never enough information for the
management, but they normally don’t tell you up front what they want to
see.  Normally they say “we need to survey customer satisfaction”.  If you
don’t get good requirements up front you get left with poor direction and
a survey that needs to be revised.

Survey is mailed out using a template containing information such as
ticket number and action taken to resolve.  The template is HTML form with
the survey questions.

Completing the survey and clicking submit creates a return Email
containing the responses.

Email comes back to Remedy Server, opened and parsed into the survey
form.

We use a custom survey form with additional processing that ‘reads’ the
survey and assigns for appropriate action.  ‘Satisfactory’ reports get no
additional processing.  Less than satisfactory are routed to ‘QA’ process
where they are reviewed and appropriate actions taken.

NOW THE PROBLEMS START.  Windows XP applications ‘package’ the return
Email as an attachment.  So far these surveys have been ignored and
eventually go to the bit bucket.  Most of our internal customers use Win
2000 but XP is starting to be deployed.  The problem is escalating and not
going away.  I’m developing workflow to export attachment and run a script
to process into the survey form.

George T.