From: Easter, David
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:59 AM
To: 'arslist@ARSLIST.ORG'
Subject: RE: Daylight savings time and Remedy system restarts

> I'm pushing BMC a little harder for [...] a more specific description
> of what will and what will not work properly after the DST change on
> 03/11 on a pre-DST-fix release

As mentioned, such a document is in the works and should be available
next week - perhaps as early as Monday the 15th.  When the document
becomes official, I will post the contents of the technical bulletin
here to ARSLIST to ensure that you folks get the information.

Thanks,

-David J. Easter
Sr. Product Manager, Service Management Business Unit

BMC Software, Inc.

[...previous responses deleted to reduce line count...]

Technical Bulletin

Daylight Saving Time (DST) and BMC® Remedy® Action
Request System®

Version 7.0.01
January 2007

BMC Software is alerting users of the BMC Remedy Action Request System
(AR System®) product to a problem that can occur if the product runs on
computers that use the time zones of the United States and Canada. The problem
results from changes to the Daylight Saving Time (DST) dates in the United
States
and Canada. This technical bulletin describes patches and upgrade paths that
prevents the problem from occurring. The bulletin also contains information
about
the effects of not patching or upgrading systems.

NOTE

For more information about how this DST issue affects BMC products (including
required upgrades and other instructions), see the Customer Support website at
http://www.bmc.com/supportu/DST2007. Information on the website is updated as
necessary. Check it regularly for the latest information.

BMC product support of the DST changes is subject to all required upgrades and
instructions, existing license and support agreements, and the disclaimers in
the
related DST documents, including, among others:

. Full DST support of systems and software provided by the customers

. Monitoring any new DST information from BMC

. Performing the actual clock changes subject to BMC instructions and customer
site practices

Legislation in the United States and Canada changed the dates for Daylight
Saving
Time (DST). The following changes take effect in 2007:

. DST will begin on the second Sunday in March instead of the first Sunday in
April.

. DST will end on the first Sunday in November instead of the last Sunday in
October.

In 2007, DST will start on March 11 instead of April 1 and end on November 4
instead of October 28. On computers that use the time zones of the United
States
and Canada, processing might be incorrect between March 11 and April 1, 2007,
and between October 28 and November 4, 2007. During these periods, AR System
might show incorrect time stamps on screens and reports, web service
integrations
might process the time incorrectly, workflow processed on the mid tier may be
one
hour off, and export/import of applications may not capture the correct time.
These issues are detailed below. Until you correct the problem, similar errors
will
occur each year.

To correct the problem, use the instructions provided in this technical
bulletin to
apply a product patch or upgrade the product to a new release.

Based on the latest information from testing, all versions of AR System will be
impacted by the DST change. Patches that contain corrections for this DST event
will be provided for AR System 6.03 and AR System 7.0.01. These patches will be
made available in the Remedy Heritage Customers Patch Download section of BMC
Support Central. The patch numbers and release dates for each version are:

AR System Version       Patch Number    Patch Release Date
6.03                    020             January 15, 2007
7.0.01                  001             January 22, 2007a

a. Customers requiring access to the AR System 7.0.01
Patch 001 prior to January 22, 2007, can contact support to
request a restricted release version of the patch.
Recommendations based on the version of AR System are as follows:

. BMC Remedy AR System 5.1.2—Upgrade to AR System 6.03 with Patch 20, or 7.0.01
with Patch 001
. BMC Remedy AR System 6.0.1—Upgrade to AR System 6.03 with Patch 20, or 7.0.01
with Patch 001
. BMC Remedy AR System 6.03—Apply Patch 020 for AR System 6.03
. BMC Remedy AR System 7.0.00—Upgrade to AR System 7.0.01 with Patch 001
. BMC Remedy AR System 7.0.01—Apply Patch 001 for AR System 7.0.01

In addition to any patches provided by BMC, the native operating system and
third-party application (including application servers, web servers, databases,
and
Java) patches for DST must also be applied to each system. Please contact the
vendor of these products for further information regarding if patches are
needed
and how to obtain them.

Additional information for AR System 6.0.1 customers

To further understand the implications of this change in DST, BMC has tested
AR System 6.0.1 in an operating environment that has been properly patched for
the DST time changes. The following table lists the known issues in 6.0.1.

Defect ID - Description
SW00256859 - Web services do not recognize the new DST schedule. If any date-
related data that occurs between the “old” DST window and the “new”
DST window (for example, between March 11 and April 1, 2007 and
between October 28 and November 4, 2007) is processed through web
services, the time will be off by 1 hour.

SW00256860 - Exporting an application (including data) does not save new 2007
DST
date/time values correctly. If any date-related data that occurs between
the “old” DST window and the “new” DST window is exported as part
of an application, then imported, the time will be off by 1 hour.

SW00256085 - “Server Time” in BMC Remedy Administrator on the Server
Information tab shows a one-hour difference between DST 2007 Start
and End date.

SW00256266 - BMC Remedy User shows a one-hour difference in time for date and
time fields if the time zone locale is set through the BMC Remedy User
Preference form and if an operating-system-level DST patch is installed
on the system.  Workaround: Users should use the BMC Remedy User without
setting
the time zone in the AR System User Preference form.

NOTE
When a one-hour time discrepancy occurs, this may affect the date as well if
the
discrepancy occurs near midnight.

In addition, as happens during any DST event, when DST begins, the day loses
one
hour (hour interchange of -1). At this date, a full hour is skipped and does
not exist
either before or after the transition, so this date includes only 23 hours.
Workflow
that is designed to fire only during that lost hour may not fire properly.
However,
since this issue occurs during every DST event, we expect that customers who
would be affected by this event have already compensated for this issue. This
issue
is not related to AR System and thus affects all versions of AR System.

While no other defects are expected within AR System 6.0.1, BMC encourages all
customers to test this change in DST calculation within a lab environment prior
March 11, 2007, to best understand the effect it will have on a given
production
environment.

Additional information AR System 6.03 and AR System 7.0.01 customers

BMC strongly recommends loading the supplied patches prior to March 11, 2007.
Failure to load the patches will result in the following issues:

. Display of date/time information within a mid-tier web client will be off by
one
hour if performed between the “old” DST window and the “new” DST window
(for example, between March 11 and April 1, 2007, or between October 28 and
November 4, 2007).

. Functions that the mid tier performs for web clients (for example, active
links)
will be off by one hour if performed between the “old” DST window and the
“new” DST window.

. Custom Java applications that use the utilities that the Java API provides to
perform date/time calculations will be off by one hour if performed between the
“old” DST window and the “new” DST window.

The following issues will occur as well. These issues as well as those in the
previous list are addressed in AR System 6.03 patch 020 and AR System 7.0.01
Patch 001:

Defect-ID Description

No ID number-Web services do not recognize the new DST schedule. If any date-
related data that occurs between the “old” DST window and the “new”
DST window is processed through web services, the time will be off by
1 hour.

No ID number-Exporting an application (including data) does not save new 2007
DST
date/time values correctly. If any date-related data that occurs
between the“old” DST window and the “new” DST window is
exported as part of an application, then imported, the time will be off
by 1 hour.

No ID number-“Server Time” in BMC Remedy Administrator on the Server
Information tab shows a one-hour difference between the the“old”
DST window and the “new” DST window.

SW00256089 For customers in the U.S.-based time zones (PST, MST, CST, EST), mid-
tier (web) results vary for the date/time field between the “old” DST
window and the “new” DST window in the search results panel and in
forms.

SW00255371 AR System reports and Crystal reports using the mid tier (web) will
display a one- hour difference for the date/time field between the
“old” DST window and the “new” DST window.

NOTE
When a one-hour time discrepancy occurs, this may affect the date as well if
the
discrepancy occurs near midnight.

In addition, as happens during any DST event, when DST begins, the day loses 1
hour (hour interchange of -1). At this date, a full hour is skipped and does
not exist
either before or after the transition, so this date includes only 23 hours.
Workflow
that is designed to fire only during that lost hour may not fire properly.
However,
since this issue occurs during every DST event, we expect that customers that
would be affected by this event have already compensated for this issue. This
issue
is not related to AR System and thus affects all versions of AR System.

The following defects are known issues in AR System 6.03 and AR System 7.0.01
that are not addressed in the patches, but will be investigated for inclusion
in a future
patch to AR System 6.03 and/or AR System 7.0.01:

Defect ID-Description

SW00257017, SW00257018-For customers in the Atlantic (AST) and Newfoundland
(NST) time
zones, mid tier (web) results vary for the date/time field between
the “old” DST window and the “new” DST window in the
search results panel and in forms.

The following defects are known issues, but BMC cannot be address them as they
involve a compiler from a major vendor that is not providing a DST fix to BMC
or
any other customers:

Defect ID-Description
SW00256258,SW00256530-BMC Remedy User shows a one-hour difference in time for
date
and time fields if the time zone locale is set through the AR System
User Preference form even if an operating-system-level DST patch
is installed on the system.
Workaround: Users should use BMC Remedy User without setting
the Time Zone in the AR System User Preference form.

While no other defects are expected within AR System 6.03 or 7.0.01
environments
that do not load the supplied DST patches, BMC strongly recommends loading the
patches prior to March 11, 2007. BMC encourages all customers to test this
change
in DST calculation within a lab environment prior to March 11, 2007, to best
understand the effect it will have on a given production environment.

Q. I bought Topology Discovery, Service Impact Management, Configuration
Management, or IT Service Management applications. Do I also have
AR System?
A. AR System is provided to any customer who also receives the CMDB. It is also
required as part of any ITSM application. If you have installed the CMDB or an
ITSM application, you have installed AR System and should upgrade or patch
AR System if possible.

Q. How is CMDB affected?
A. CMDB is an application built on top of AR System and thus is affected by the
issues discovered as documented in this technical bulletin. However, since the
above issues are seen through the use of user interfaces based on AR System,
customers using CMDB only as a data source for solutions such as Topology
Discovery, Configuration Management, or Service Impact Management will see no
negative impact on their CMDB data. Interfaces, including User Interfaces,
which
interact with the CMDB may be affected as documented in this technical
bulletin.

Q. Should a CMDB customer load the AR System patches anyway?
A. BMC recommends upgrading to a version of AR System that has patches
available and patching AR System to ensure that customers are up to date with
all
known corrections for the DST event.

Q. How are other applications affected, such as EIE, DSO, and so on.
A. For more information on other products related to AR System, refer to the
Customer Support website at http://www.bmc.com/supportu/DST2007. If the
product is listed as “not affected,” then no specific patches for that product
need
to be loaded. Interfaces, including user interfaces, that interact with the
product
might be affected as documented in this technical bulletin. BMC recommends
upgrading to a version of AR System that has patches available and patching
AR System to ensure that customers are up to date with all known corrections
for
the DST event.

Q. I bought Change Management, Service Desk, Asset Management, Service
Level Management, or other traditional Remedy applications. Am I affected?
A. Since these applications are built upon AR System, such applications would
be
affected by the issues as documented in this technical bulletin and thus AR
System
should be patched as instructed.

Q. I will not be able to upgrade my product to a patched version prior to
March 11, 2007. What should I do?
A. BMC recommends that you review the defects documented in this technical
bulletin and test your configuration in your lab environment to best determine
how this DST event will affect you.

Q. Will AR System 6.0.1, AR System 5.1.2, or previous releases ever be patched?
A. At this time, there are no plans to patch versions of AR System prior to
6.03.

Q. I have a product or version of a product that is no longer sold by BMC and
is
not listed in this bulletin or in the General Support, Upgrade Requirements,
and
Support Summary Table. What should I do?
A. BMC has only investigated the effect of this DST event on products that are
currently considered active product offerings. BMC recommends that if you have
a product not reflected in these documents, that you test your configuration in
your lab environment to best determine how this DST event will affect you.

Q. Can I load just the DST fixes and no other fixes the patch?
A. The DST fixes are included with other fixes in the executables for the
product
and cannot be installed individually.

Q. Is the BMC Remedy User executable affected? Do I have to really
re-distribute BMC Remedy User to all my users to correct this DST issue?
A. Only the mid tier and server executables contain DST fixes. However, BMC
does not recommend applying only a portion of a provided patch. Customers
install the
patches in their entirety.

Where to get the latest product information

To view the latest BMC Software documents, visit the Customer Support page at
http://www.bmc.com/support_home. BMC Software distributes printed copies
of flashes, technical bulletins, and release notes with most product shipments,
as
indicated on your shipping list. In addition, all notices are available on the
Customer Support page, including any notices that BMC Software issues after you
receive your product shipment. You will not receive new notices by mail.
However, by subscribing to proactive notification, you can receive email
messages
that direct you to those notices. For more information about proactive
notification,
refer to the Customer Support page.

Copyright 1991–2007 BMC Software, Inc., as an unpublished work. All rights
reserved.

BMC Software, the BMC Software logos, and all other BMC Software product or
service names are registered trademarks or trademarks of BMC Software, Inc.

BMC Software considers information included in this documentation to be
proprietary and confidential. Your use of this information is subject to the
terms
and conditions of the applicable End User License Agreement for the product and
the proprietary and restricted rights notices in the product documentation.

BMC SOFTWARE INC
2101 CITYWEST BLVD, HOUSTON TX 77042-2827, USA• 713 918 8800
Customer Support: 800 537 1813 (United States and Canada) or contact your local
support center