-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Heider, Stephen
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:44 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Maybe OT: RPC Service Going Up/Down

Windows Server 2003, SQL Server 2000, ARS 6.3 p17

The outside connection to our production Remedy server keeps going up
and down.  The Remedy system appears to be running fine.  I have been
receiving the morning email notifications fine (which are produced by
system processes running according to a schedule).

There are no errors logged at all in Remedy or SQL Server.  The Event
Log on the server does not show any errors that would contribute to this
issue.  There are 3 errors that occur every time someone logs into the
server via RDP:

Error 1: Userenv #1053 - "Windows cannot determine the user or computer
name. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted."

Error 2: MsGina #1010 -   "Failed to set the user's home directory
(Drive U: connected to Share \\TPAFS04\HOME)."

Error 3: Userenv #1053 - "Windows cannot determine the user or computer
name. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted."

Our remote system monitoring server is reporting that the RPC Server is
going up and down.  It could be that or instead it could be the
monitoring server is losing connection with the Remedy server and is
interpreting the event as the RPC Server going up and down.

Logging into the Remedy server via RDP is taking about 20 minutes.  It
does not get stuck in any one part of the login, but all parts are slow.
For example, connecting to the server takes about 5  minutes, loading
computer profiles takes about 5 minutes, loading personal profile takes
about 5 minutes, the login script takes about 5 minutes, etc.

Connecting to the SQL database with SQL Enterprise Manager (from another
computer) sometimes takes several minutes, and then sometimes
instantaneously.

It is shaping up to be an interesting morning. Good thing I have a pot
of Starbucks Espresso nearby.

On the surface it appears to be a server or network issue instead of a
Remedy issue.  No changes were made to the Remedy server yesterday or
today. No patches have been installed in several months.

Any ideas?

Stephen