All,

Funny that this subject would come up like this, but just Monday I got a
request to build the three second interval counter to show characters
remaining. Works.

I was concerned about performance too, so my test form has one active link
that calculates the remaining space in 16 character fields (set fields X =
255 - LENGTH($field$) every three seconds (one set field action, 16 fields).
The integer fields have no label, disabled change flag, and is displayed as
text adjacent to each character field. If you watch closely Aruser's CPU was
up by a (one) percent when this window is open, but you're only typing in
one field at a time. No human-discernable pause, but the workflow log gets
pretty large...

There's no client-server traffic in this, networking's not an issue.

Doug