    From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
    [mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG <mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>] On
    Behalf Of Ivan Runions
    Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 11:28 AM
    To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG <mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
    Subject: use of ' in sql calls

    Situation:  We have a field containing department names (called
    UnitName

    in the sql call below).  Some of these names have an apostrophe
    (') in
    the name.

    We have an Active link that does an sql call
    SELECT MAX(zDepCount) FROM FS_AuditCashDeposit_Main WHERE '$UnitName$'
    = UnitName AND '$DepartmentNumber$' = DepartmentNumber AND
    '$RequestID$'

    != RequestID

    This SELECT statement worked fine under ARS 6.3, going to an Oracle 9i
    database (accessed via Oracle 9 client libraries).

    We have just upgraded our server to ARS 7.0.00 patch 2, going to an
    Oracle 9i database (access via Oracle 10 client libraries), and we now
    get errored out on these calls with the error:

      Arerr [552] Failure during SQL Operation to the database ORA-01756
    Quoting string not properly terminated.

    The error only occurs when the Unitname contains an apostrophe, and
    obviously, it is mucking up the sql statement.

    Does anyone have any thoughts/pointers, as
    a) how to work around this
    b) whether it's the ARS upgrade or the Oracle 10 client library
    change)

    that might be causing this

    Actually, I only need help with (b) if I can't determine how to do
    (a).

    thanks
    -ivan-

    --