________________________________
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Susan Palmer
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 9:17 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

Subject: Re: DST - another thing.

**
And .... why do we even do a time change  ????

Susan

On 2/23/07, Julio Verne Goncalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> **
>

> G'day listers,
>
> I guess the problem is how to maintain DST starting and ending dates for
all cities around the world?

> DST observance is very often a city government decision. Even cities in
the same GMT differ in whether will observe DST and starting and end dates.

> There are lots of patches solely for DST purposes on all operating
systems.

> If you can, just take a look at the source files for TZ on Unix and you
will see the amount of comments from people all around the world on this
matter.

> At the end of the day the question is who would be spending the money in
keeping this information up to date to that level?

> JĂșlio

OTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZUNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJVTLBXFGGMEPYOQKEDOTWFAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZUNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJVTLBXFGGMEPYOQKEDOTWFAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDDJBL

> Hi Claire,
>
> You're right, of course, and not just about ARS.
>
> The server admins (UNIX, Windows, RDBMS, etc.) here are all stretched to
the max patching for DST.  I'll bet every one of those patches is just a
rehash of the prior implementation - which required patching. Given the
vagaries of the US Congress and other legislative bodies, I couldn't help
thinking when this all started that DST rules are data and ought to be
externalized accordingly, not hard-coded. Then the next time someone changes
the rules, we'd only need to swap out a data file and restart.

> Ah well, maybe next time. Or maybe we ought to have filed for a patent on
the idea?

> Peace,
> Doug Anderson
>
> Opinions expressed are necessarily mine, not necessarily those of the Mayo
Foundation.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: DST - another thing.
>
> Why can't there be a form much like the Business Holiday forms that tell
Remedy when DST starts and ends?????

> How difficult could that be????
__20060125_______________________This posting was submitted
with HTML in it___