Hi all:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the DST ramifications for
5.1.2, and I guess I'm thinking it would help if I had a technical white
paper or other document that specifies exactly how Remedy 5.1.2
calculates time and time conversions.

Here's my thinking:

The Remedy server stores all time values as Unix time, which is the
total of seconds since 1 January 1970 GMT.  Time values, then, get
stored in a number field in the database (as opposed to a date/time
field).  Accordingly, if a user passes a date and time in a search
query, Remedy must convert the date and time supplied by the user to the
equivalent Unix time.  It must do this by first adding or subtracting
the appropriate number of hours based on the time zone and then possibly
add an hour for DST.

If you run such a query, which piece of Remedy does this conversion
before the query is passed to the underlying database? Is it the server
or the client? Does the client do the time conversion before the query
is passed to the server or does the client just pass the query to the
server as-is and the server does the time conversion?

If the server does the time conversion, is it saying, "OK, I got a time
value in this query I'm to execute.  So let me convert the time to
something I truly understand.  So let's see now...what time zone am I
in...and are we observing daylight savings time?" I assume, then, that
the server queries the operating system for the timezone??? And does it
query the operating system for whether or not the time zone is currently
observing DST? It can't, in my mind, otherwise there wouldn't be a bug.
It must be calculating whether or not DST is being observed itself based
on its own internal date/time algorithm? Yes?

Does anyone know the answers to these issues or know of a whitepaper
that definitively describes how Remedy calculates time?

Thanks,

Norm