-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim Widowfield
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:28 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Who's in charge of support at BMC? (U)

The only thoughts I can add have to do with the irony of the whole thing.
Can it really be that the company that sell the premier help desk
application can't provide decent customer support?  I mean, it just seems
like yesterday that BMC/Remedy marketing was telling us how customer
support
should be thought of as a profit center.  That is, you can retain
customers
and drive up new sales by treating people well and providing quality
service.

From my own experience, I actually think that's true.  Last summer I spent
over two hours on the phone with a certain airline, just trying to change
flight.  I have nothing against anyone who happens to live and work in
Bangalore.  However, it appears the call-takers for this airline aren't
empowered to do *anything* on their own.  "Let me talk to my supervisor"
is
their mantra.  (At BMC it's: "Send me your log files.")  The likelihood
that
I will ever choose to use that airline again is now extremely low.

On the other hand, every time I've called DirecTV I'm astonished at how
good
their customer service is.  They actually know how their products work,
and
they have the patience to walk customers through time-consuming tasks like
rebooting an HD receiver/recorder.  Would I ever switch to Dish Network or
digital cable?  Are you crazy?

I hope the current support debacle at BMC will be rectified
soon.  However,
I've seen this scenario played out before.  Organizations get fixated on
the
idea that saving money is the same as making money.  It isn't.  It's a
delusion that accompanies the death spiral.  First they start cutting
costs
by firing all their competent employees.  Next they sell off all their
profitable assets, just to keep the bottom line from looking anemic.  In
the
end, there's nothing left but the name and the dim memory of what used to
be.

"Will the last one out of the building please turn out the lights?"

--Tim