Kelly,

the risk of not really logging in to the Remedy mid-tier, only opening the
Login form on the mid-tier, is that you would not notice if the AR Server
itself would stop. If the arserverd process dies but the mid-tier is still
running, you would see the login page without a problem. You'd have to login
to find out whether or not the arserver is still responding. Logging in with
an account and a non-matching password, as mentioned earlier,  generates an
error message: but (at least using mid-tier v7/Tomcat) this would be the
ARERR [9388] Authentication Failed message. This message is the same as the
message you would get when the arserverd process is not running, so that is
not a very good check imo...

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards
Michiel Beijen