The best advice I can give at this point is to turn on the fork logs
and see if there is any additional information there.  I suspect that
what you are seeing presently is all the logs will show, which tells
me that there is a bad block on the storage device in use.  What is
the storage arrangement on the server (mirrored, single drive, etc.)?

Try looking in /var/log/messages to see if you are hitting any type of
limit.  Can you post the output of ulimit -a?  It should look
something like:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 1024
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 137216

You can check the number of file descriptors in use by a process using:
lsof -p <pid> | wc -l

Make sure this is not at the limit when you receive the error.

Axton Grams