Simple answers:

1.  Each application typically requires a "server license".  For example,
you'll need a Change Manager application license for the server you want to
run the Change Management application.  (You'll also need an AR System
application license, typically running on the same server, and multiple
applications can use/share the same AR System server license.)

2.  User (client) licenses fall into two categories.  "Fixed" licenses are
also known as "named" licenses, as they're typically tied to a specific
user, not to a specific server.  "Floating" licenses are also known as
"concurrent" licenses, as they determine how many user may "concurrently"
access the application.  They're typically assigned to a server (or server
pool), not to an individual user.  Floating licenses are kept in a revolving
pool and metered out on a first come, first served basis.  With AR System 5
and earlier, each floating license was assigned to a server; problem was,
when that server became unavailable, the associated floating licenses also
became unavailable.  With AR System 6 came the concept of server pools,
which introduced a better way to manage floating licenses; if assigned to a
server pool, rather than to an individual server, if one server becomes
unavailable, the associated floating licenses don't necessarily become
unavailable.  The concept of reserved license pools was also introduced,
which allowed you to reserve a set number of floating licenses for special
user groups (such as IT management or occasional-use executives).

3.  Here's where it gets confusing.  To license a user for AR System, you
need a fixed or floating AR System user license.  To license a user for an
application (such as Change Management), you need a fixed or floating Change
Management user license, AND a fixed or floating AR System user license.
Also, a fixed Change Management user license can only be used with a fixed
AR System user license, and a floating Change Management user license can
only be used with a floating AR System user license.  When you purchase new
application user licenses you have the option of purchasing an "incremental"
application user license (e.g., a fixed or floating Change Management user
license by itself, which assumes you already have the companion fixed or
floating AR System user license), or a "full" application user license
(e.g., a fixed or floating Change Management user license bundled with a
companion fixed or floating AR System user license.)

4.  Pricing can also be confusing.  A "production" license is a full price
license (e.g., a Change Management application license lists for $22,000),
intended for production environments.  A "development" (or "dev") license or
a "test" (or "QA") license typically costs half as much (e.g., a "dev"
Change Management application license lists for $11,000) but can only be
used in a non-production environment.  In addition, "standby" or "hot
backup" licenses, which let you set up a standby (passive failover) server,
are also available at half price, but are typically complimentary for large
accounts.  In the past, Remedy would charge full maintenance fees for dev or
test licenses, but that policy changed a couple of years ago and now
maintenance for dev or test licenses is half of maintenance for production
licenses.

Ivan, to answer your question on an application license, that would be
equivalent to a "server" license.  (Please note that Remedy does not use the
term "server license" and prefers instead to use the term "application
license".  Since it's a license for the application to run on a server, I
call it a server license.)  And yes . . . if you want to set up a
"non-production" Remedy environment for your development or QA teams, you'll
need to purchase separate server and user licenses.  Bummer.

Nick, to answer your question on whether a floating application license
stays with a user, the answer is "no" -- only a fixed user license "follows"
the user.  If an occasional user logs in and requests a floating license (a
background process Remedy performs automatically), if a floating license is
available it will be assigned to that user.  Once assigned, it remains
"attached" to that user until one of two events occurs: 1) the user
explicitly signs out (which immediately releases the floating license); or
2) the user remains inactive, their Remedy session times out, and the
floating license is returned to the floating license pool.  Please note the
timeout clock cannot be set to be shorter than 60 minutes.

If you need more detailed answers or have a specific issue to discuss,
including licensing strategies and additional pricing information, feel free
to contact me directly, off the ARSlist.

-- Bing

Bradford Bingel ("Bing")
ITM3 California
http://www.itm3.com/