Steven,

I would strongly suggest that you NOT alter the field 1 value. Add a
new field. Do your business logic there and then propagate those
changes to the table fields/forms of interest too. Simply add the
time/cost of all of those changes and inform your management of the
impact to the application and any future upgrades. See how much they
think this is really worth.

Generally I find that when you can use existing functionality (AKA:
'Create Date') and not have to do additional, expensive, and difficult
to maintain "enhancements" appeals to most management types.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach