-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:15 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Looking for feedback on SourceSafe

Jenni,

My two cents...

* Visual SourceSafe (VSS) is very lacking as a Source Control system.

* However, it is easy to get setup and running with the existing ARS
"integration" to MS SC API.

* You likely will find the details of how VSS works to be disappointing from
a technical implementation point of view. ( What do you mean I have to have
a common file server to do Source Control?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@#$%!!!!!!!)

* You also will likely dislike what you have to do to get all of your
existing ARS objects under VSS control. (Hours of watching an admin tool
twitch with popup after popup as each object is committed one by one to VSS.
Days of time if your talking about the ITSM application(s). All of your ARS
objects get "changed", timestamps and some VSS info stuffed into them, in
that process so your ARS server will be thrashing while that is going on
too.) <rant> There really should be a command line utility that could do
this for you from the Remedy Server side, but to my knowledge no one has
bothered to go do that.  Most likely due to the lack of support for MS SC
API from any platform other than M$ OS's.</rant>

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)