Once I had alike situation ... the problem was in HUGE message in incoming
mailbox on server, and email engine refused to fetch it and become very glitchy
... We removed that huge message from mail server and everything set stabilized.

And, of course, you should switch on email engine debugging - read email engine manual,
"Creating email debug batch files" ...

Ross, Isabel wrote:
Hello

The email engine on our live system has stopped working.

On Friday I tried to create a new record in the mailbox configuration
form and got the following error:
ARERR [552] Failure during SQL operation to the database : ORA-22275:
invalid LOB locator specified The only way I could create the record was by leaving the password field
blank.  Then if I tried to amend the password field, I got the same
error.  This was inconvenient, but not a major issue.  However, after
that things got worse.  There are now no incoming emails and all the
outgoing emails have a status of Send = "Yes" and are going no-where.

Restarting the email engine triggered the error:
"
Application has started Version: 06.03.00 patch 018
Checking connection to server: accessapp ...
Using JRE: 1.4.2_13
loaded library
Successfully connected.
libthread panic: _deliversigs: _lwp_kill : dumping core (PID: 24095 LWP

--
Mike Chepaykin