Multiple people have extended the field beyond 255 chars, but I
wouldn't recommend doing that.  Remedy seems to use character arrays
with c functions like strcpy, strcat, etc.  It would be better if they
used calls like strncpy, strncat, and the likes, but it's an old code
base.  The header files define the assignee group at 255 characters,
and I can only assume that the structs used to store information on
the server side use these defines for character buffers, but if these
calls are used to write to a buffer, you get into buffer overflow
problems which can lead to one or more problems:
- corrupted memory (random server crashes and other unexpected behavior)
- potential for buffer overflow exploits (execution of arbitrary shell
code on the server); may have to pull out a noop slide and see if I
can write to an executable region of memory on various platforms.

Axton Grams