Good morning,

I've been looking into how the Approval Central form works, because I
will either have to customize it or come up with a better console that
still leverages BMC's Approval Engine.  In looking at the table field, I
see it building a qualification, then running it through a run process
command to obfuscate it.  I can see no valid reason for them to do this.

In AP:Central-SetInternalQual, it runs:
$PROCESS$ @@:Application-Parse-Qual-L "AP:Detail-Signature" ""
$zTmpQualification$

The zTmpQualification field is not in any of the forms by default, so to
see it's contents you have to modify the Approval Central form to
include it in the view because it's not in either view by default.

The zTmpQualification field is where the actual qualification is built,
and it ends up looking like this:
 'Approval Status' = 0 AND ('Approvers' = "spierson" OR 'Approvers' LIKE
"spierson;%" OR 'Approvers' LIKE "%;spierson" OR 'Approvers' LIKE
"%;spierson;%")

However, once the active link above runs, it becomes something virtually
unreadable, like this:
1\4\1\1\13191\2\2\0\2\2\2\4\1\1\13207\2\4\8\spierson\4\7\1\13207\2\4\10\
spierson;%\4\7\1\13207\2\4\10\%;spierson\4\7\1\13207\2\4\12\%;spierson;%
\

Does anyone have any idea why BMC would do this?  Are they trying to
generate more money for Professional Services by making the app harder
to work with and making customizations take longer?  The Approval Engine
is pretty bad to begin with, and it is nearly unusable out of the box,
so we have to customize it.  I don't like that BMC appears to be putting
workflow in just to make the process take longer and try to confuse
people.  Maybe there is a valid reason, but I don't see it.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
5444 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77056