I think a "common sense" course might be in order before re-taking algebra

Where the heck do you get: 16692 / 296410404 = 5.613 ? You just have to glance at that to see that its way way off

A murder rate of 5.6 % would mean that on average more than one of every 20 people get murdered in the US each year. If this was true almost nobody would get to old age before getting murdered.

Stephen

From: "Hromyak, Nicholas (DHCS-ITSD)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: OT: JOB posting and Nabble
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:17:05 -0700

Apparently, I was not clear.

Please look at the numbers below

When I divide the FBI's numbers of 16,692 murders / 296,410,404 the
population in 2005 I get 5.613.

Please TRY IT!

16692 / 296410404 = 5.613

It's been a while since I did my Algebra, but I think that is correct.

Now when I look at how to get a percentage according to this site

http://www.blurtit.com/q845591.html

The equation can be put up as follows:
(Given amount/ Total amount) x100

For example if John scores 60 out of 75 in mathematics we can find the
percentage of his marks by dividing 60 by 75 which comes to be 0.8 and
then multiplying it by 100 which gives us the percentage of his marks in
math which is 80%.
(60/75) x 100 = 80%

Hence

5.6%

According to the FBI

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_01.html

In 2005 there were 16,692 murders in a population of 296,410,404 people
in the united states.

That's 5.6% murdered in the U.S.