I checked around, someone that just came back from an IT job in Iraq says:

The guys fueling trucks make about $80,000/yr. Coincidentally, this is the limit of tax-free income when working somewhere other than the USA. 80k is really good money if you don't have to pay taxes on it.

Someone else already mentioned that a no-experience IT person can get 125k.

This person told me that the highest-level guys are making close to 300k, maybe 280 or so. I'm thinking that with an existing clearance and 5 or so years of Remedy experience then the job would be worth about 250 or 260k but that wasn't the case.

Living conditions would generally be not very comfortable - a tent at the low end and a shared trailer at the other. Very long working days, but apparently there's nothing else to do so you're always on.

Iraq or no Iraq, one of the most safest places you could be (assuming that your side controls the air, and chemical attacks aside) would be a military base, so I wouldn't worry about getting murdered, or even attacked.

But this position requires travel, which we all know is very dangerous in Iraq. I personally don't know how much exactly my life is worth but I took into account the ratio between military contracting bill rate and pay rate and bid accordingly. Whomever is running this contract didn't agree with my assessment.

The top guy in this stack of contracting companies is most likely sitting in an office somewhere in the DC area so I didn't feel compelled to give him anything close to 50% of the bill rate if our enemies have figured out how to use an rpg to bring down whatever helicopter I'm riding in.

Or...maybe I just didn't have the qualifications for the job. At any rate, they're still looking for someone. If anyone bids on this job I would be interested to know what happens.

Drew
Tulsa