-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 7:50 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Remedy workflow modification auditing

Shawn,

Given the inability for an ARS feature to not be circumventable by an
ARS Administrator then I think you have to turn towards a
reporting/discovery approach to achieve any level of "forced compliance,
audit data". (And there still might be ways around some of these ideas
too.)

My first thought would be to use an API program to get a list of all the
objects that changed on a given day. Then run that program every day.

If you trust the developers enough then that program could create
records in an ARS form and require the developers to supply additional
documentation about each object. If you worry about them altering the
data then you could also send an email to someone with the report
details too. ( So the emails could be compared to the form data at a
later date.)

Now that approach would only work if the developers do not go mucking
with the modified date stamps in the objects. (Which can be done with
enough effort, but is unlikely, and impossible to be done
"accidentally". So that kind of behavior could be come a "punishable
offense" too.)

If you want a 100% way... you need to export each object and compare it
against the export from before. When their are differences, then report
the object as changed. Your program could use any source control system
you want to to try to identify the differences.

The VSS solution would only work "so far". But you could turn on Server
Events logs and send email when special events happen. (Again, ARS
Admins can not normally pull back emails after they have been sent. But
they could prevent the AREmail engine from working properly too.
Again...that kind of behavior could be come a "punishable offense" too.)

So I think you have a few easy options, if your management is willing to
put some teeth into the policies. And a few "more effort required"
options if they want to spend the time/money to be paranoid too.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On 8/20/07, Pierson, Shawn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> **
>

> Good morning all,
>
> Let's say, hypothetically, that you work in an environment with an
> OOTB ITSM 7 environment, and you have been given a directive to not
> modify any OOTB workflow without getting prior approvals from all I.T.

> directors as well as the VP over I.T., plus you have to document
> things in detail, and follow best practices to make sure your
> modifications and workflow are easily identifiable.
>
> Then let's say, also hypothetically, that you work with someone whose
> skill with Remedy matches their ability to follow the rules.  Since
> this hypothetical person has made changes to the OOTB workflow without

> any documentation, and seems to suffer from amnesia, I would
> (hypothetically) like to be able to audit any changes that this person

> may have made and restore them to the original OOTB workflow.
>
> Does anyone know how to find all workflow that has been modified by a
> single user?  I've been thinking of trying to build a SQL query to
> help me find this stuff, but I'm not sure if there is an easier way.
>
> Also, is there any way to integrate Visual SourceSafe into Remedy and
> make it required, to where there is no way through the Admin tool to
> disable it? VSS is not any good if it gets disabled by someone who
> thinks it's slowing their computer down, rather than the
> (hypothetical) program that randomly changes their desktop background
> image.
>
> Thanks,

the Answers Are"

Private and confidential as detailed <a