I had the same problem in our setup as well.  It turned out to be a simple
name resolution issue on the network.  I used a modified URL to test the
FB/Midtier functionality separately.  It was something like:

http://<midtier-server>/arsys/servlet/FBImageServlet?server=<server>&flashboard=CMDB:CountFB&username=appadmin&pwd=<passwd>&height=500&width=500

That should at least let you know that the midtier/FBs are working.

^shrug^

Scott.