As a college graduate, graduating as a Software Engineer (BS Degree),
I don't see how becoming a PE would help me.

After looking at the the NCEES website, I don't see how becoming a PE
would significantly help a "Software Engineer" as none of the exams
seem to touch software specific categories. I do think that a Software
Engineer should know basics about the topics the exams cover.

I think the equivilent to the PE for Sofware Engineers would be
certifications from the different companies (Sun, IBM, Microsoft, BMC,
etc.).

I'm still fairly new to the Software Engineering community (graduated
in 1999) so I could be wrong in this assumption.

--
"A fool acts, regardless; knowing well that he is wrong. The ignoramus
acts on only what he knows, but all that he knows.

Robert Halstead