Jason,

RE:
"
The permissions defined in the admin tool grant right to see the
Flashboard object(s) but does not have any effect on record data being
displayed in the FB, correct?
"

Since you are more interested in the technical details... here is a
quick overview of what I see going on with Flashboards.

Actually, the data that Flashboards displays is a separate data set
than the source data that the Flashboard variables point at.
"FB:History" and "FB:History Summary" if memory serves is the actual
data stores used by the Flashboard objects. It looks like the v7.1
version of these forms the data is totally locked down and only an
Admin can actually see the cached data. (The form and the rows are
"Public" [which seems silly to me], but the actual "values" are admin
only.)

The data is collected by the Flashboard server based on the definition
of the Flashboard variables as an admin user.

So when the users are looking at a Flashboard they are really "seeing"
the "FB:History" and "FB:History Summary" data and not the source
forms that the variables are pointed at. However, when they "drill
down" then the user is directed to the Source form with the "proper"
qualification to match the Variable/group by/additional Flashboard
qualification/restrictions for the UI that the user is clicking on.
That is then also restricted to the users Group List access for the
source data.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black