That really depends on what the fix to the problem is and whether or not
there will actually be a fix engineered by Remedy support or not..

They have for example, outstanding issues with the Remedy Customer Support
application. I have been on projects with a customer, who have had
performance problems and these problems have mainly been due to bad queries
or queries run against large tables with no appropriate indices, etc. I
haven't heard that there were any official fixes to these problems, and part
of my project with this customer was to correct these problems myself.

Your best bet in such cases would be to document the changes you have made
to fix these problems, as well as take backup def files of your changes if
that is possible.

BEFORE applying any patches later, it would be good to read through the read
me files and check to see if the list of fixes corresponds to the fixes you
have implemented yourself as chances are the fix might be the same thing.

It might also be a good idea to notify Remedy support of that bug and inform
them about the changes you have had to make to correct them. That way they
might be able to advise you based on the record of that incident with them
on their records, on the best way to install a new patch that they have
released as they should be able to have a fair idea (hopefully) of the
changes their patch would install on your system and would know if that
would interfere with any changes you have implemented manually prior to the
patch..

Cheers

Joe