Have you tried attempting to start the ARS Server service and then
examining the SQL logs in Enterprise Manager to see if the logon attempt
succeeded or was even attempted?

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Watson, Benjamin A.
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:28 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ARServer fails to connect to new database server

Thanks Norm, however we're not using that account (ARAdmin) to connect
to SQL anymore.

What we really have is three separate Remedy environments (Development,
Test, "Pseudo-Production") in our development environment, all sharing
the same database server with individual Remedy databases.  For each
database, we created unique SQL logins corresponding to each database.
Each Remedy instance connects to their respective databases using their
own SQL account.

Typically, whenever we restore a backup, we use SQL stored procedures to
reset the database owner to 'sa', then back to the original owner.  This
has all worked like a charm in the past (for years).

Now, we've got a new "box" (I quote box because these are all virtual
machines) and a fresh install of SQL 2005 on it.  I manually created all
of the database logins, then restored each DB and reset the db owner for
each db to these appropriate logins.

At first, I wondered if it was because our new SQL box isn't "exactly" a
replica of our previous SQL box.  Our previous box had a unique network
hostname name, was a member of the Windows Domain, and ran SQL server as
a domain user.  This new box isn't on the domain (but has the same
hostname name) and is running SQL as a system account.  Of course, I
ensure only one SQL server box is on at a time to prevent hostname
conflicts on the network.

To that end, I had our network admin remove the "old" box from the
domain and add the "new" box.  Still nothing.

I now am leaning towards a SQL issue on the new box as I've done the
following:
1. Powered down the "new" SQL box
2. Powered up the "old" SQL box
3. Pulled the "old" box off the domain
4. Rebooted "old" box (don't you just love messing with
hostnames/domains?)
5. Logged back into "old" box and saw errors galore because SQL couldn't
start as the domain account (go figure)
6. Used SQL config manager to set all SQL related services to running as
a local system account
7. Started SQL
8. Manually pointed the AR Server to this "old" box by modifying the
host file as the DNS now points to the "new" (powered down) SQL box.
9. Started AR Server
10. Could successfully connect/login!

So, at this point, I'm at a bit of a loss.  I can basically take the
application server out of the equation (it still works on the "old" box
that is not on the domain and running SQL as a system account).

I can't really "stare and compare" the two database servers as I can't
have them powered up on the network at the same time.  But from
everything I've seen, they're pretty much identical with respect to how
SQL server is configure, the SQL accounts, and the databases.

The only thing I can see now is that both SQL servers are configured for
"mixed mode" (SQL and Windows) authentication.  On the "old" box, I can
see SQL logins corresponding to Windows domain accounts that each of our
Remedy instances run as (Remedy runs as a Domain account for the sake of
sending e-mail).  On the "new" box, I don't see those SQL logins for
those domain accounts, just the SQL logins I created.  Perhaps I'll
attempt to run the "new" SQL server as a domain account, then access it
using the other Remedy domain accounts to establish those logins.

Ben