I have a question on maintenance. We own several products one being SMS
Discovery service which is now retired by BMC. They will provide support
for the next year but will not provide any more upgrades. That being the
case I wished to exclude it from our annual maintenance agreement. I am
being told that I must fill out a purge agreement which states the
following:

2. 3 CUSTOMER agrees that, once the License Purge has been completed,
CUSTOMER has no right to use the original Product on the Current System.

Now I thought when you buy a software license you own the license and
can not be forced to pay maintenance for it. BMC is saying that I must
pay maintenance for every one of their products that we have installed.
This sounds very wrong to me. I understand we are not entitled to any
support but we own the license and should be able to use the product.
Right now our support maintenance has lapsed while I try to resolve this
issue.

Brian Sokol
Manager, Desktop Services
Scholastic Inc.