  _____

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sokol, Brian
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 1:14 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: BMC Maintenance

**

I have a question on maintenance. We own several products one being SMS
Discovery service which is now retired by BMC. They will provide support for
the next year but will not provide any more upgrades. That being the case I
wished to exclude it from our annual maintenance agreement. I am being told
that I must fill out a purge agreement which states the following:

2. 3 CUSTOMER agrees that, once the License Purge has been completed,
CUSTOMER has no right to use the original Product on the Current System.

Now I thought when you buy a software license you own the license and can
not be forced to pay maintenance for it. BMC is saying that I must pay
maintenance for every one of their products that we have installed. This
sounds very wrong to me. I understand we are not entitled to any support but
we own the license and should be able to use the product. Right now our
support maintenance has lapsed while I try to resolve this issue.

Brian Sokol
Manager, Desktop Services
Scholastic Inc.
557 Broadway