Using an active link guide is the correct choice.  A filter guide will
not be able to detect which rows have been highlighted by a user.

If you have access to the "ActionRequestSystem 6.3 Developing AR System
Applications: Advanced" PDF  (filename: AdvancedGuide-630.pdf), there is
some useful information from page 51 to about 65.  I used it to help
populate fields from table columns.  I assume that my "set fields"
filters could easily be push fields.  Actually, I just verified that my
filters could use a push fields to do something similar to what you
want.  I also checked that active link push fields have access to my
columns.

I guess I don't really have a good answer for you except that I know
that an active link guide is what you need to see rows selected on the
client side.

Tim