Jaimie,

Wow...so many things that this could be:

1.) Is there a C Compiler on the box, is it properly configured and
available in your path?

2.) Were you attempting this installation as ROOT or as another user?

3.) Are the files that the script is trying to CHMOD actually there?  If
so, who owns them (owner and group) and what are the access rights?

It sounds like it's trying to compile the module for your http/java
servlet connector.  If it doesn't have access to a compiler or to the
necessary source files (apxs is usually owned by ROOT but should be
readable by other users).  I'd recommend doing the installation as ROOT
and then follow the post-installation routines to set up the whole thing
for non-ROOT usage.

Best of luck,
Gp

George Payne