Actually...

I think it is a simple enough observation to say....

If ITSM is a "leading product" for Service Management then why do they
not use it to manage their relationship with their own customers?

I can understand that it can take time to absorb a new acquisition
into the main stream. However, Remedy/Per#$%#$ appeared to never use
ITSM/ITSP either. So I think I can not just blame BMC for this
issue.The phrase "Eating your own dog food"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_one's_own_dog_food) just does not
seem to have really registered with Remedy.

A little company, Ralston Purina Company (subsidiary of Nestlé ) is
credited with the idea sometime before 1988. I mean, how could that
apply to a company like BMC? How successful has Nestlé been over the
years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestle
Revenue          98,5 billion CHF (2006)
Net income      5,05 billion CHF (2006)

CHF is "Swiss franc" by the way with a current exchange rate of :

1 CHF = 0.8583 USD (BTW)
so that would be like...

Revenue          84.54 billion USD (2006)
Net income       4.33 billion USD (2006)

VS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMC_Software
Revenue          $1.49 billion USD (FY2006)

But for what it is worth...

Looking at ITSM v7 "RQC:ServiceRequestWizard" (The "Create a Request"
button from the "Requester Console".) I see the application only
asking the user for:

Required:
'Summary*+' ( 255 Char)
'Urgency*' (Selection field)

Optional fields look like they include:
'Notes' (255 Char)
'Date Required+' (Date/Time)
'Phone' (255 Char)
  [ What the ...? for a phone number?]
'Email' (255 Char)

But they do appear to allow you to attach an attachment there too.

So maybe they are just front ending the application with a custom
"Data entry tool" after all?

FWIW:
When getting ready to open an issue with BMC, I have taken to writing
my entry before I go to the web site. If it is long enough then I make
it into an attachment and just attach it with the text "see
attachment" in the description. :) Besides, I am normally sending in
log files these days anyway... so there is normally an attachment
anyway. :(

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On 10/29/07, Timothy Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> **
>
> Benjamin,
>
> You are confusing a company that "preaches" best practice with one that
> actually "utilizes" best practice in their own support mechanism. Practice
> what you preach is NOT one of the BMC/Remedy tenants.....sadly.

<snip>

> I'm sure that the members of this list can come up with numerous other
> examples where the practice doesn't measure up to the preaching.

<snip>

> Tim

<snip>

> ... What is the "best practice" for ...