-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Axton
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:33 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: OT-Support Question - Whine - Rant - Ignore me!
(UNCLASSIFIED)

To some degree this is true.  In a competitive market, companies will do
whatever they can, legally (most of the time), to remain competitive.
This means that when one company dips to new lows, others will typically
follow if it works.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work the other
way; when companies operate at a higher level, they are eaten by their
competitors because they can not remain competitive.

This is why we have laws in place to regulate certain types of actions
and practices.  Laws are intended to set the minimum at which entities
are expected to act.  Sometimes it becomes necessary for the government
to become involved by either raising or lowering the bar so far as the
minimum of what is acceptable (legal).

There are arguments on both sides of this dichotomy:
- there are only so many skilled workers of a given type in a given
geographical region
- there are large discrepancies in what is required in terms of
compensation for different geographical regions (10USD/day vs.
10USD/hr)
- reputation - which takes a long time to build and only a moment to
destroy (this seems to be undervalued these days, probably because there
is no way to easily correlate a price tag to it)
- quality - there are good people on both sides of the pond; practical
experience, language barriers, time differences, etc. tend to be impact
people's perception of quality

Axton Grams

On Nov 6, 2007 2:03 PM, Kaiser Norm E CIV USAF 96 CS/SCCE
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >It sounds harsh, but BMC doesn't appear to be willing to pay the
> price-tag associated with treating their support helpdesk people the
> way they, themselves expect to be treated in their own country.
> Overseas manpower is cheap for a reason.
>
> It's not harsh at all.  Outsourcing jobs from Europe and the US to
> places like India and the Philippines is, quite simply, the new form
> of serfdom.  I don't care who does it--it's just an under-the-table
> trick to avoid having to abide by modern fair labor laws.  You know,
> the ones about minimum wage, workman's comp, safe workplaces, etc.
>
> >Given how niche of a market Remedy is ... for how incredibly large
> >the
> price-tag for Remedy ... for how pricey SUPPORT, ITSELF IS (which is
> separate from the actual licensing) ... I simply can't believe that
> there isn't the profit margin to afford to hire quality, native
> English language support inside the US or EU.
>
> Of course they can afford it! They simply choose not to.  By
> outsourcing, you increase company profits in the short-term.  That
> drives the stock price up (temporarily) and allows top executives to
> qualify for their annual performance bonuses.
>
> Do I sound cynical? Maybe.  But I guarantee you this is true.

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE