Hi,

This was an email message from Chad Hall some months ago, this explain
email engine performance very well:
There are several things you can do to speed up emails. We have tuned
ours so that it can send between 300-500 per minute. We reach those
levels several times a day. We can get 1000 per minute if server load
is low and the emails do not contain ARTask attachments. Here are a
few things you can do:

1. Use multiple private threads
       a. Setup a private RPC queue. Set max threads to the total
number of incoming and outgoing mailboxes you have.

       b. Specify this RPC number in emaildaemon.properties like this:
               com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.yourserver.RPC=390630

2. Configure multiple outgoing mailboxes
       a. If you have access to multiple SMTP servers, create one
mailbox for each SMTP server. You won't see much gain from using a
single SMTP server and aliasing it to allow creation of multiple
Remedy mailboxes. A one-for-one on mail servers to mailboxes seems to
be a functional limit. But if you have 2 SMTP servers with 2 mailboxes
you can double your throughput.

       b. If you have an Exchange server, create one for an Outlook
profile. (Consider creating multiple Outlook profiles and MAPI
mailboxes if you really need more throughput). MAPI tends to be much
faster than SMTP but is prone to issues with Exchange connectivity,
the Outlook profile, etc.

       c. Setup workflow on AR System Email Messages using Set Fields
to specify the outgoing mailbox so that it uses a round robin
approach.

3. Increase number of threads per mailbox (7.0.x only)
       a. This is a 7.0.x feature I haven't been able to use since I'm
on 6.3. But Support has achieved some outrageous improvements with
these settings in their test lab. If you're on 7.0.x, add these to
your emaildaemon.properties file. (Note: increasing these settings to
higher numbers won't yield higher throughput for some reason)
               com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.NumberOfSenderThreads=4
               com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.OutgoingMessagesQueueSize=2000

4. Dedicated Email Engine server
       a. Setup a separate server that does nothing but run the Email
Engine service. Search the BMC KB for instructions on changing the
registry so that the Email Engine service is not dependent on the
local AR Server service. This will allow you to run the Email Engine
without running AR Server. Configure the emaildaemon.properties to
connect to your actual AR Server. This will really help if your AR
Server gets high CPU usage.

5. Increase the Java heap size
       a. Search for this in the BMC KB. Increase the max heap size to
512 MB or 1 GB and you could see a big improvement if Java is using a
lot of memory.

6. Turn off group and user caching
       a. Set this line in emaildaemon.properties so the Email Engine
won't cache all of your groups and users when it starts up. It will
only cache them as needed. It rarely actually needs that info and it
uses a lot of memory. This will also make the Email Engine service
start much faster.
               com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.FetchUserGroupInfoOnDemand=true

7. Add additional indexes
       a. With SQL analysis we found some email engine queries that
could benefit from more indexes when you have quite a bit of history
on your email engine forms. Back on 5.1.1 these (and a few others BMC
finally added as standard) doubled my outgoing throughput. These
include:
               AR System Email Association
                       1. Destination ID (improves performance)
               AR System Email Error Logs
                       1. Email ID (makes display of AR System Email
Messages records faster)
                       2. Create Date (makes troubleshooting easier)
               AR System Email Messages
                       1. Send Message (improves performance)
                       2. Date Sent (makes troubleshooting easier)
                       3. Create Date (makes troubleshooting easier)

8. Reduce the sent item history
       a. You can completely eliminate this by setting 'Delete
Outgoing Notification Messages' = "Yes" in each outgoing mailbox, or
by setting com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.SaveSentItem=False in your
emaildaemon.properties file. It sounds like you may have already done
this.

       b. You can retain a few days worth of history by setting up an
escalation to delete records older than a few days from AR System
Email Messages, AR System Email Attachments, and AR System Email
Association.

9. Set polling interval below 1 minute
       a. If 1 minute is not fast enough for you, and you have a low
enough volume for the server to handle frequent polls, set this in
emaildaemon.properties so it interprets your polling interval as a
number of seconds instead of minutes. You probably don't want to go
below 15 seconds on this or it would never really stop running.
               com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.MailboxPollingUnitIsMinutes=false

Chad Hall