If you look at a running 7.x AR server there are quite a few processes
in memory besides the arserver.exe, all of which can have their own
block of up to 2 gb under Win2K x64.  Lots of new java plugin servers,
java itself, etc., as well as Aremail and possibly the SLM Collector or
Flashboards - depends on what you offload to the mid-tier server.  I
have been comparing two AR servers - originally 7.0.01.x and now 7.1,
where the hardware is identical and the back-end db for each is the same
(two identical x64 Win2K3 servers with SQL Server 2005 x64 - all four
servers are 2 x dual-core Opterons with 10 gb RAM), but one AR server is
32-bit Win2K3 Ent and the other is x64.  The one running on x64 seems a
little bit faster at bulk processing incoming data from AIE, otherwise
the client response times have been too close to diferentiate between.
The current plan is to go into production on 7.1 Patch 001 (still
waiting for it) next month IF it fixes all of the issues I have with
7.1; otherwise I may have to punt and drop back to 7.0.01.005.

No, I am not planning to run multiple instances, at least not on the
production server.  We have no budget for more AR server licenses right
now.  That will wait for the day when the powers-that-be force me off HP
hardware onto Dells, and I demand some level of redundancy - having no
confidence in putting one-of-a-kind servers on commodity hardware.

The hardware may be overkill for 32-bit ARS now, but I expect to run it
for several years; the current 5.1.2 system is on the same hardware we
built it on in 2003.  Theoretically the new machines can be upgraded to
7.5 and gain the benefit of x64 support if/when that becomes available.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center
http://remedy.unt.edu/