This is a custom app, and I could see updating other forms as an issue.
Looking at the workflow, we seem to just doing a lookup on the group form
and setting a field on the ticket being closed. It wasn't using an index for
the search.  We are also inserting another ticket into a different form but
using 1=2 as the set if condition so it's inserting everytime (audit trail
form).  What i'm thinking is that the escalation ended up using all 10
queues for it's operation not leaving a queue open for any user operations..
Is this as designed?  Maybe this is just me, but wouldn't you want system
processes not use up all the resources but leave a few open for any user
requests?