The problem with the mid-tier and mobile devices that I've experienced is
that most mobile devices won't support the java on the web page fully.  This
is because of the browser on most mobile devices.  Instead of creating the
page through Remedy, I would either stick with the e-mail option (since that
is what blackberry's are most used for) or create a php page (not through
Remedy) that has your two buttons and have php call Remedy through the
Remedy web service.  The page could still take your unique value since you
would be able to build the url manually in Remedy when it sends the e-mail
to the user and then pull additional values if you need to display on the
web page itself.  Most mobile web browsers have no problem with php.

Of course, you don't have to go with php, any server side code will work.
We have java servlets access our Remedy through web services even though we
could probably have them use the api.

Just my two cents.

On Jan 4, 2008 9:39 AM, Rabi Tripathi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All:
> I need to provide blackberry users ability to receive an email from ARS,
> from which they should be able to, through some easy means, provide a
> Yes/No
> answer back to ARS.
>
> Obvious solution is to have them reply to the email with YES or NO text or
> some other unique string and parse the email in Remedy to process the
> response...
> ...but is there a better way?
>
> It has been suggested that I can use a Web Service to accomplish this, but
> just don't see how I can have blackberry users consume a ARS Web Service,
> and have that consumption be available in/thru that email.
>
> I could have a simple URL in the email that takes them to a simple Remedy
> form with yes/no buttons, but I am guessing a Mid-tier generated Remedy
> form
> isn't visible, functional in blackberry. I have never been sophisticated
> enough to use/own a blackberry, but I'm pretty sure remedy screens won't
> show properly.
>
> Somebody shout me down, if this is not true, or if there is a workaround.
>
> So what has been suggested is provide two URLS in the email, corresponding
> to Yes and No responses. Again, I don't see what kind of URLs I can
> construct to communicate yes and no responses back to ARS. I certainly
> don't
> see any kind of URL directly consuming any Web Service I might write in
> ARS.
>
> Is my analysis so far reasonable? Do you guys know of any good way to send
> yes/no to ARS from blackberry? A quick google serach shows stuff like
> NetBeans allowing code to consume Web Services from blackberries, but I
> don't know enough to even conceive of a way that could be used in my
> situation.
>

> Ok, I do have some half baked ideas that may or may not work. If I
> construct
> a mid-tier URL that queries a form, called say "Yes Response Form" with a
> certain record ID (and possibly a security key as well), and write a "Get"
> filter on that form to look for the combination of the record ID and the
> security key and on match interprete that as a "Yes" response, then
> although
> the query result may not show correctly on blackberry, on the server side,
> the response will have been processed.  Worth trying?
>
> --

"A fool acts, regardless; knowing well that he is wrong. The ignoramus acts
on only what he knows, but all that he knows.
The ignoramus may be saved, but the fool knows that he is doomed."

Robert Halstead