Hey Stephen...

If all else fails there are always old reliable macros...

Here is one scenario of what you could do:

1) Record a macro with an advanced query statement filled out.
2) Edit the macro with notepad and replace the query string with your
prompt enclosed in dollar signs:

TEST 2
Set-schema: INAC:CFG:DATA:MNT:Menu_Items_Systemelry-58c
Query:  $ENTER QUERY STRING$
Form-open:
Form-entry-list: 0
Form-final: modify@
end

3) Create a form that would have a field (i.e. "Advanced String") to
store your advanced query strings.
4) Create a way for your user to make different Advanced String
selections (i.e. a menu); therefore, once a menu choice is made
the "Advanced String" would be populated.
5) You could then use a button to activate an active link that would
run a macro that would use your Advanced String field as a parameter
in the macro
that you edited.

Just tried it - seems to work ok...

A little old-fashioned, but I think it should work (just remember that
workflow that fires macros reduces efficiency)....

Good Luck bud...