I also use MS Virtual Server at home (it is free), and VMWare ESX for work.
(6.3 P22 Windows 2003)

Some key points to consider, is you MUST have knowledge of "Performance
Tuning in Virtual Environments", the major bottle necks is not the CPU or
Memory (faster and more is always best right!), however in the NETWORK
Configurations...

You must remember that for fail-over, etc that all NIC's are allocated to a
BOND (Multiple Physical to one Virtual) and then the BOND is allocated
(Attached) to the Virtual Server(s). Also remember the GIG-E
full/auto-configuration issue...

You MUST use a bunch of fore-thought to the allocation of these BONDS to the
systems. We had terrible performance on ESX, until I (not the NT / ESX
Administrators) got in and figured out that they had ONE BOND that was
allocated to Remedy-Production Server and the Business Objects broadcast
scheduler/server and one other 'heavy network' server... Well, as I say
DDUUHH RIGHT!

As soon as we reconfigured the three largest systems, POOF Screamed faster
than the older physical hardware did.

One other 'trick' is to create a VIRTUAL NIC, to connect your Server to the
Database. Although this does have fail over restrictions (both VM's must be
moved to another same-box-configuration)...

As to "not officially supported", there are many things BMC (Remedy) does
not "officially support" but in fact works OK, such as Fail Over Microsoft
Clusters... (not that I suggest this any-longer, go VM!)
You administrators can easily 'clone' a system into a new environment (for
load ballencing), so you only patch ONE system, then "Clone & Configure"...
Speaking of patching (Binaries, not application unfortunately), you can
clone prod to a test, patch and test, then clone forward again. Total outage
is very short, expecially in vload ballenced-virtual-ized environments.

HTH
Robert Molenda