Mel,

Last weekend we archived 120,000 records in less than 3 hours.

We have 2 servers(production and reporting). Data gets DSO'ed from production
to reporting all the time. So, we actually performed archiving on reporting
server.

We only used "Copy to Archive" functionality. There was no performance impact
whatsoever during the entire proecess.  I have not tested "copy to archive and
delete from source" functionality.

Our approach was like this
1. Take backup of all records you want to delete( in .arx file).
2. Have DBA take backup in a .dmp file.
3. Start "Copy to Archive" on the form you want to archive.

Verify that we have same number of records(based on criteria u specify) on
archived form as we have on source form.

Now, the BIG part. We experience memory issues while deleting data using
escalation.  One of our consultants proposed an excellent solution for deleting
data.

1. Export only ID's of the records that you want to delete in .arx file. Use
same criteria as you used for archiving.
2. Use a filter that fires on "Merge" and that performs an
Application-Delete-Entry operation.

This approach is as good as deleting 1 record at a time and has NO impact on
server whatsoever.

So, as soon as you start importing the data through "Remedy Import Tool",
filter will fire and it will delete the record from production. As we have DSO
in place, it will eventually delete from other server too.

If you don't have separate reporting server, then you are pretty much done with
process.

It took almost 12:30 hours to delete all records with no user impact.

By the way, I have a question. Is there any documentation available saying that
"This is the max limit that Remedy can handle for good performance".

Some of our forms have more than million records. Thanks for help in advance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Chintan.

Joseph Kasell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Mel,

We're running 7.0.1 with ITSM 6.  We instituted archiving a little over a
month ago, it was sorely needed, and it certainly has made a difference.
Since Remedy was put into production back in the summer of 2004, approx
390,000 tickets had been submitted.  The amount of tickets had not been a
problem until recently when we began to see performance lags performing
various actions in Remedy.  Opening an existing Help Desk ticket from the
Remedy Support console alone was taking anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds
depending on the ticket (API and SQL logs were very helpful here).

We decided to archive all Help Desk tickets with a status of Closed that
were older than 13 months.  We considered using Remedy's archiving feature,
but eventually went with Misi Mladoniczky's rrrchive utility.  Since our
lab testing indicated that the archiving of an estimated 250,000 tickets
would take about 6 to 7 hours (and slow the system down tremendously), we
decided to archive in chunks of 40,000 which limited the performance pain
to about an hour.  We did this for 7 nights in a row.  I can tell you that
since, performance has improved tremendously (max time to open an existing
ticket is about a second).  Archiving is done nightly now.  It takes a
minute to archive the 400 to 500 tickets that meet the archive criteria.  I
know that my users are happy.

Joe

Joseph Kasell
Navy Federal Credit Union

             Melanie Snayer

             MAIL.COM>                                                  To
             Sent by: "Action          arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
             Request System                                             cc
             discussion
             list(ARSList)"                                        Subject

             ORG>                      and Delete from Source

             03/26/2008 05:45
             AM

             Please respond to
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    RG

------=_Part_6872_1105761.1206524742321

Hey Thivagar

We are in a 7.01 environment but I'm glad to know that this improved on
performance. Could you perhaps give me a rough indication of the
following information:

   - what your database size is
   - number of records before the archive
   - time taken to save a call before the archive
   - number of records after the archive
   - time taken to save a call after the archive

Anyone else like to share a bit of their archiving info with me?

Regards
Mel

On 3/26/08, Thivagar Sankaran  wrote:

> **
>
> Hi Mel,
>

> Recently I have archived the data in my 6.3 environment. I have done this
> to improve the performance and I observe the performance has been
improve=
> considerably. But the issue was, the Copy to Archive and Delete from
> Source option was not working in my environment. Hence I went for Copy to
> Archive Option and deleted the data manually. I have raised this issue
wi=
th
> BMC. But as usual I didn't get a proper response.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Thivagar Sankaran
>
> ITIL =96 Foundataion Certified
>
> Remedy Developer
>

>  ------------------------------

fo=
=
> considering archiving as soon as 1 year and 6 months after having
gone-li=
ve.
> Well, archiving is just one of the options that we have resorted to along
> side the current ongoing perfomance tuning that we're doing.
>

> Can you guys give me examples of how you may have gone about archiving
> your data? Like what the archiving criteria is and whether your archiving
> was done as a result of performance issue or as standard procedure.
>

> Thanks
>
> Mel

> html___
> html___

------=_Part_6872_1105761.1206524742321

**
Hey Thivagar

We are in a 7.01 environment but I'm glad to know that this
i=
mproved on performance. Could you perhaps give me a rough indication of
the=
 following information:

   what your database size is

   number of records before the archive

   time taken to save a call before the archive

   number of records after the archive

   time taken to save a call after the archive

Anyone else like to share a bit of their archiving info with me?

Regards

Mel

On 3/26/08,
class=3D"gmail_sendername">=
Thivagar Sankaran <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
m">[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

0=
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">**=20

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Hi Mel,

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Recently I have archived the data
i=
n my 6.3 environment. I have done this to improve the performance and I
obs=
erve the performance has been improved considerably. But the issue was,
the=
 =3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Copy to Archive and
D=
elete from Source option was not working in my environment. Hence I went
fo=
r Copy to Archive Option and deleted the data manually. I have raised this
=
issue with BMC. But as usual I didn't get a proper
response.<=
/p>

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Thanks &
Regards,=

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Thivagar Sankaran

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">ITIL =96 Foundataion
Certified
n>

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Remedy
Developer
<=
/div>

style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

=
Roman" size=3D"3">

---------------------------------

FO=
NT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">From:
face=3D"Ta=
homa" size=3D"2">
Acti=
on Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:top=
.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href=3D"mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG";
tar=
get=3D"_blank">[EMAIL PROTECTED] bold=
">On Behalf Of Melanie Snayer

Sent: Wednesday, March 26,
=
2008 2:44 PM
To:
oncl=
ick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href=3D"
mailto:arslist=
@ARSLIST.ORG" target=3D"_blank">arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

Subject: BMC Remedy - Copy
=
to Archive and Delete from Source

12pt=
">

12pt=
">**

style=3D"FONT-SIZ=
E: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Hi
Listeners
<=
/div>

12pt=
">

FONT-FA=
MILY: Tahoma">We're experiencing performance issues
especially&nbs=
p;when submitting incidents. Our initial plan was to archive
call=
s that have been closed for more than 5 years but as a result of the
perfor=
mance issues we're having to considering archiving as soon
as =
;1 year and 6 months after having gone-live. Well, archiving is just one
of=
 the options that we have resorted to along side the current ongoing
perfom=
ance tuning that we're doing.

12pt=
">

FONT-FA=
MILY: Tahoma">Can you guys give me examples of how you may
h=
ave gone about archiving your data? Like what the archiving criteria is
and=
 whether your archiving was done as a result of performance
issue =
;or as standard procedure.

12pt=
">

FONT-FA=
MILY: Tahoma">Thanks

FONT-FA=
MILY: Tahoma">Mel

12pt=
">__Platinum Sponsor: top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,=
this)" href=3D"http://www.rmsportal.com/";
target=3D"_blank">www.rmsportal.c=
om ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are" html___

__Platinum Sponsor: top.js.OpenExtLink(win=
dow,event,this)" href=3D"http://www.rmsportal.com/";
target=3D"_blank">www.r=
msportal.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are" html___

cle=
ar=3D"all">

html___