Typically, I believe, If you are required to have a security clearance,
than the organization that is hiring you will get you one, as you cannot
obtain one on your own.

They prefer you to have one because it's quicker, but they can still get
a preliminary clearance that will last until your final one comes in.
Typically if you pass the preliminary, then you will also pass your
final one. It's not that difficult, just make sure you've never killed
anyone, or worked for a foreign government that is hostile to the US :)

Thanks,

Gary Opela, Jr., RSP

Remedy Engineer

Leader Communications, Inc.

http://www.5pointleader.com

http://www.lcibest.com

Best Product, Best People, Best PriceTM

An ISO 9001:2000 Certified, CMMI(r) Level 3 Rated Company