Does anyone know if there is a bug in 7.1 no patch with set fields?

I'm trying to get a field to display the following:

'Submitter' = $USER$              (except for $USER$ is expanded, to say
Bob.Smith)

So, I do the following:

Set Field Query String =

" 'Submitter' = " + """ + $USER$ + """

It then sets the field to:

'Submitter' = " + $USER$ + "

So, I try:

Set Field Query String =

" 'Submitter' = " + """$USER$"""

It sets the field to:

'Submitter' = "$USER$"     (it's still not expanding. Option 1 should be
the one that works, I thought).

Eventually, after several different tries, I re-visit:

Set Field Query String =

" 'Submitter' = " + """$USER$"""

And now, all of the sudden, it sets the field to:

'Submitter' = "Bob.Smith"

I'm not sure why it works now, but not later.

The problem I'm having, is I'm trying to do this on a new active link,
but I cannot get it to work at all. Anyone have any suggestions?

I need to set a Query String = 'Related ID' = $Request ID$, which I'm
using in an External call in a table field.

Thanks,

Gary Opela, Jr., RSP

Remedy Engineer

Leader Communications, Inc.

http://www.5pointleader.com

http://www.lcibest.com

Best Product, Best People, Best PriceTM

An ISO 9001:2000 Certified, CMMI(r) Level 3 Rated Company