I'm assuming that you have a United States Passport :)

Depending upon the length of the job, you may or may-not require a VISA to
work in the UK... You will definately need a Work Permit...

Who ever is hiring you should arrange for the WP / Visa (if needed) - Then
you must receive the WP and have your passport stamped, etc. This in itself
can be a long process...

I know, just got back from a UK assignment - in process of extending the WP
so I can go back and continue with other development topics :)

HTH

--
If it were not for the gutter, my mind would be homeless!