De: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) em nome de Rick Cook
Enviada: qua 14/5/2008 14:53
Para: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Assunto: Re: Max Index on Form!

** The two things to look in determining the appropriate maximum number of
indexes for a form are the usage of the form and the number of rows involved.
If you have only a few hundred or thousand rows in a table, indexes probably
won't help all that much, and performance might be negatively impacted if you
went way over the top in your indexing.  (Aside: Remedy put like 16 on
HPD:HelpDesk in ITSM 7.  Draw whatever conclusions you like from that).

On tables with ~100k+ rows, the basic rule is that indexes speed up queries,
but slow down submits, because on each submit, every index must be updated.  So
on forms where lots of records are submitted, you might want to keep the number
of indexes lower than on a form against which reports are run.  7 indexes is
not excessive, but is starting to get to the point where adding more would
probably be noticed on submits.  There isn't a hard number at which your
performance will fall off a cliff, you will just notice gradual degradation of
performance as the number increases beyond somewhere around 7.  It's up to you
to find the best balance of performance and functionality for your installation.

One other thing to look at, if you haven't already, is how the indexes you have
in place are being used, and whether changing or removing one or more of those
makes sense.  That takes a lot of analysis of SQL logs, and working with your
DBA to determine which searches are taking the most time, etc.

Rick

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Tadeu Augusto Dutra Pinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>