Peter,

I would think that using the API would be an easier approach. I will
assume the v7.1 Java API is acceptable as a staring point.

Here is a overview of what you would need to do:

) Login to the ARS server as an Admin

) Get List of Schemas
   Make sure you restrict the list to the correct Field ID of interest.
   ( You did use a best practice an have used the same Field ID for
this field right?)

) Loop over the Schemas that are returned and do a Get Field for the
field ID on that form.

) Alter the field with the setFieldLimit(FieldLimit limit) method.
   I think it would be something like this...
   // assuming field is a com.bmc.arsys.api.Field

field.setFieldLimit(((com.bmc.arsys.api.CharacterFieldLimit)field.getFieldLimit()).setPattern("$MENU$"));

) then do not forget to save the change to the field object:
   // assuming context is a com.bmc.arsys.api.ARServerUser
   context.setField(field);

) Logout.

Now if your field ID's are not the same then it just complicates how
you have to find your field objects. But the same ideas should apply.

( And I would hope that someone at BMC would be able to help you get
that simple Java application together in a mater of an hour or two.)

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)