Question: By "lines of codes we have in Remedy" are your bosses looking for
the total number of lines of code in the AR System platform, the OOTB
workflow and forms, the form/workflow customizations you've done or some
combination of all three?

It would be quite difficult, and I'm pretty sure illegal, to attempt to
decompile BMC's code to count the lines. :)

IMHO, it might be worth having a discussion about the object-oriented nature
of Remedy development, and how it doesn't really lend itself to bulk
quantitative measurements such as the number of lines of code, with whoever
is asking for this information. This would serve two purposes: One, it would
educate whoever is asking so they have a better idea of what Remedy is and
how development is accomplished. Two, it would show them that you know what
you are talking about and can be counted on to give accurate, meaningful
(and perhaps better) answers even if they aren't exactly what was asked for.

If you are still forced to give a quantitative answer, I think the advice
given so far is the best approach: Either give a count of the workflow
objects and multiply that by an arbitrary number or export all of the
objects and count the lines in the def files.

A third approach might be to count all of the rows in the metadata tables
for each object type...but that could get complicated.

--- J.T. Shyman
All,

I've been asked to estimate the "number of lines of code we have in Remedy".
Any ideas on how to approach a question like that?  Feel free to save your
response for Friday Humor if you prefer.

Thanks,

-David

David M Clark
Remedy Programmer/Analyst