If anyone would like to know, vacuum tubes are still a really big deal for
audiophiles and for people in the music biz. This is because people who care
generally agree that the sound of tube amplification is subjectively better
than the sound of solid state amplification, with a few exceptions.

Guitar players like them because tubes produce better-sounding distortion,
with a rounded sound-wave rather than the jagged sound wave that an
overdriven solid state circuit would produce. All-tube amps are favorites.
Some of them are quite old and some of them are new, but they're all pretty
darned heavy. Sometimes the pre-amp circuit (the one that gets overdriven)
will be tube and then the real amplification circuit will be solid-state,
but for that good, slightly crunchy attack, you need all-tube. Also, singers
and recording engineers will use microphones with an internal pre-amp which
contains an itty-bitty vacuum tube. These sound "warmer."

Audiophiles also like the warm sound that tubes give. Some of the most
heaviest, most expensive, and esoteric amplifiers are all-tube, rendering
units that cost tens of thousands of dollars. Each channel gets a separate
amplifier. They turn these things on and leave them on for the life of the
unit...if they are seriously bonkers audiophiles, that is.

Anyway, the move to solid-state equipment created a "tube crisis" for lots
of guitar players and amplifier manufacturers. Crisis was averted when the
industry found a ready source for vacuum tubes: Russia. They still had
plenty of crap that ran on them!

Drew
Tulsa, OK