-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:49 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Help with a UNIX script to STOP the AREmail daemon

I'm hoping to avoid having to do the same thing (Windows env) here, that
is, build a custom aremail watchdog to kick-start the service when email
starts stacking up. Our AREMail 7.1.00.002 engine has been dying
silently and randomly for over a month now, sometimes after a java error
in the stderr.log and sometimes with no error at all.  It has taken a
month to get support to escalate it, so they are dragging this out as
long as possible.  It often dies in the middle of sending out a set of
standard group assignment or ownership notifications, leaving the flag
on the last message sent at Yes so that when we restart it goes out
again.  When it hangs, the service does not shut down properly since the
Windows service wrapper still thinks it is running but it is not - you
get an error about response time.

Maybe it is due in part to the number of messages lying around in the
email form - I haven't had time to invent the missing data maintenance
on that form (or any others in the ITSM 7 hidden data time bomb), so it
is approaching 50K of entries already.

The occasional java error we see is a new one on me:

java.rmi.ConnectIOException: error during JRMP connection establishment;
nested exception is:
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(Unknown
Source)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(Unknown
Source)
        at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(Unknown Source)
        at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.rebind(Unknown Source)
        at java.rmi.Naming.rebind(Unknown Source)
        at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.newInstance(EmailDaemon.java:180)
        at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.startMonitor(EmailDaemon.java:864)
        at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.executeComandLine(EmailDaemon.java
:592)
        at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.main(EmailDaemon.java:313)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(Unknown Source)
        ... 9 more

Has anyone observed more stable behavior from AREmail 7.1.00.003?  I
haven't been in the office enough this month to get any of the new
patches up and running in a test/dev environment.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/

_______