Sure, it start a new process.  The only problem with a signal 9 is
that the process exits immediately and is not given the opportunity to
perform any pending or cleanup operations it has.  The impact of such
a thing will vary from program to program.  The program may leave temp
files scattered in various places, it may not flush all log entries,
etc.

Axton Grams