I'm probably not the best person to ask since I don't like anything
about the java "architecture," but I think this is one of those things
where the java app (AREmail) has been made to "appear" as a Windows
service even though it really isn't one, so under the covers the
EmailStart.bat is called when the service "starts" and that is what
actually starts the application.  Similar to the way Tomcat installs a
wrapper around the app so that you can manage it as a Windows service
even though it is not one.

I do know that every time I have been required to update the JRE by our
security folks - about the only time I will agree to do so after an
installation - I have had to edit the path to the jre in the
EmailStart.bat in order for it to work properly.  I also had to edit the
registry entry in HKLM\CurrentControlSet\BMC Remedy Email Engine -
<servername>\Parameters\JVM Library, which shows the path to the
jvm.dll.  I know that I had to do this on 5.1.2 when they found major
security problems in 1.4.x jre back in 2007... and I have edited both
the EmailStart.bat and registry paths on 7.0 and 7.1 while testing
systems over the past two years.

Someone who understands java and AREmail better than I is welcome to
correct me on this - I just try to keep it working reliably in a pure
Windows Server environment, where java is always problematic.

In your situation, where the service will start manually, it may not be
the path but the mail service starting before ARS as Harry pointed out;
in my experience if the path is the problem the service won't start
manually, either.  FYI, I think 7.1 is the first version where the
installer actually makes the mail service dependent on the AR server
service - where if you restart ARS it tells you that it is also going to
restart the dependent mail service.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/