I have answered my own question, steps below:

1) Add a new field to the Incident form called 'SLA End Time'.  You then
need to add workflow to make it read only as required etc, and some
basic business rules about the values to put in this field.

2) Open the form 'Config Service Target Data Source', select the record
for the helpdesk, and on the Request-based tab put a tick on the field
'Use End Time', and then select 'SLA End Time' from the drop down field
'Reference End Goal for Request-Based SVTs', and save the record.

3) When setting up service targets you just need to put a tick in the
field 'Use Goal as defined on the Application form', this greys out the
Hours and Minutes goal fields.

4) When creating an Incident, manually populate the 'SLA End Time' field
and save the Incident.  If the terms and conditions of the SLA match,
then the new SLA will attach with the target time being the time in the
'SLA End Time' field.  If the 'SLA End Time' is empty then the Service
Target will attach, give a warning, and show as invalid, to get around
this include the condition 'SLA End Time' != $NULL$ in the SLA
definition.

>From my limited testing, it appears that all existing SLA's continue to
function correctly.

Sam