Hi Listers,

I've been assigned a task of developing a load balanced environment for
our remedy infrastructure. It has become a headache now since I am stuck
with few things.

Here's bit of description of the architecture.

We have planned for having two sites A and B, A will be Primary and B a
Disaster Recovery Site.
On the top we have Users connecting through Citrix to any of the ARS
application servers through two F5 1600 Load Balancer. The Load
Balancers are in  active - passive mode with a switch above them to
shift the connection incase any of the LB goes down.
Then we have 4 ARS application server all in Active mode in server group
architecture. These servers have two Database to connect to. Databases
are in Active - Passive mode. Each of these DBs are connected to their
own SAN for storage. We will have a dataguard for replication of the
database.

DSO is not proposed in this architecture. We have a home grown
application.
ARS version 7.1.0 on Solaris 10
Oracle 10g on RHEL 5
Midtier 7.1.0 on Windows 2003 server

Questions that concern us are:

1. Will this architecture be feasible solution for failover and high
availability?

2. How will we find out incase any of the server goes down? Is there any
need for health check script to run on each of the ARS Server box to see
if the server is alive or not?

3. To have a zero downtime at the time of application upgrade, if we
take one side completely down then is there an option in Load Balancer
to restrict the users to access the admin server so that we can use it
to do our workflow updates in the passive database. Then the dataguard
will copy the changes from this database to the active. Is this scenario
possible? if not then is there any other option where I can achieve zero
downtime or minimal downtime for workflow and form updates.

4. Is there some recommendation for setting the stickiness value in the
load balancer.

5. Has someone used this kind of scenario with F5 Load balancer and can
share how things are configured? Remedy only has a documentation with
Cisco LB.

6. Are there any critical things you'd like to list which needs to be
taken care of in this environment.

Any thoughts are appreciated.....!

--
Ankur