The only functional significance I am aware of is the Help Desk role is used
to set an Incident Owner if an owner assignment rule is not present.  See
the Inc User guide in the section on "Understanding incident ownership".

As far as I can tell the other roles are informational.  I would be
interested in learning otherwise.

Regards,
Chuck Baldi